Saturday, July 5, 2008

Viva la Vida

For anyone who knows me it should come as no surprise that I am plugging their new album. If you had asked me about their previous albums I would have said they were good and deserved a listen to. This one is a must listen to, as it is a completely different breed of music.

There is a very short list however of composers and poets who were able to move me.
They are:
Beethoven, Dvorak, Rich Mullins, Jakob Dylan, and now Chris Martin.

I have heard lyrics that spoke true, and I have heard strains of orchestras that pulled upon each heart string. Coldplay's previous endeavors seemed to dwell supremely upon love songs(which they did well) and did not deviate for the most part. Viva la Vida is both poetry and orchestra, not designed for marketability but solely to create a feeling with each piece of music; and the album, when listened to completely, is an experience of life.

Truth is the core of all good music. I have heard music that seemed to be truth; I have heard great truths told in poetic form, but never in such harmony with music until now. Viva La Vida is a subtle album and the lyrics need to be thought on carefully. The music hints at what words are left out. The music becomes poetry and that is the real genius of this record.

The first track is entitled 'Life in Technicolor'. There are no words, just music. Some might call it a variation on a theme. Each note was planned to take mind on a journey. For me it brings back memories of some of the happiest times in my life.
The feeling of being clean, innocent, and embarking upon an unknown adventure come through clearly. It ends flowing into the next track on a positive but slightly downward note. Which to me implies how easily we as humans can slide from nothing wrong in the world and one single, not even negative, sign of opposition and our complex is ruined. It's like saying saying "everything is fine," and meaning it, followed by us saying: "except for that one thing..."

My plan is to review the entire record. Very soon you will know what I think about it. Until then go listen and be amazed.

No comments: