Tuesday, February 19, 2008

another article on language

Perhaps I go too far in saying that we are headed toward civil war. Unrest is likely. Maybe not war. It really all depends on the media spin.

I must repeat that a good bit of this blog is here to insure that I don't mentally snap. Not all my ideas are running together well, and I tend toward impressionistic language when I am venting. It does get people talking and that is what I do enjoy.

My good friend Jachin( http://jachin.rupe.name/ ) has put up a very interesting article on the use of words liberal and conservative. I must say I had similar trouble figuring, and discussing, the difference between left and right. Adjectives becoming nouns have been a source of confusion for centuries, and will continue indefinitely. It is the same problem of pronouns without an obvious proper noun. Language, policed or not, will change. Personal goals to use 'correct' language does slow the progress down but has not ever been seen to stop human invention.

Liberal and Conservative are just hijacked adjectives used as proper nouns even though the proper meaning of the movements are not clear. This is very political and disingenuous, but does not altogether disqualify them as meaningful titles. It is confusing, but nevertheless: it is our duty as sentient beings to weed out the truth in our own tangled web of lies. We can't blame language, only what we know to be progress of language.

Which of course means we can only expect, as time goes on, for the language and culture to become either clearer or more confusing. Using the correct adjectival definition is a moral choice, and a truly conservative idea.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the plug. (You should edit your post so it links directly to my article).