Monday, November 12, 2007

factual perdition and the method

The great sin of facts is using them but ignoring others in a vain effort to support an ideal. We condemn our minds to something we like as opposed to what we are not brave enough to argue. We would rather be comfortable and ignore what we don't want to see, knowing that we are wrong and without the inspiration to get it right. This is willful ignorance. Not all people, but an alarming amount, desire stupidity as a subtext excuse for their petty lives.
I still find myself guilty of this from time to time. I have to examine my intentions for what I find to be right. Am I partial? Why? Does this intent of mine make my opinion false?
The unceasing self-investigation must be applied. This is my method. This is how I understand life. But I must be careful at every step. It is far too easy,after all, to taint perfectly good ideas. But what do I know about ideas?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice colors.

I willfully ignore things that might be "facts" because there's not enough time in the day to sort it all out.

Because of this, I'm sure lots of people have thought less of me, but there's only so much time and energy I'm willing to devote to bettering my beliefs.

I'm not really sure this is a shortcoming, one should feel guilty about, but just part of the human condition.