Saturday, November 17, 2007

Just to clarify

No I am not anti Christianity. I'm just a very harsh critic of movies in general. So far the movies that were made by religious groups are, in general, overly pretentious. I'm sure there are exceptions, somewhere out there, but I have neither seen or heard of them. When I do hear of a new movie that covers something religious I am very skeptical as whether I should bother myself to go to the theater.
Now, please note, I consider political activists and atheists both as religious groups. Their movies usually have a good script. The sad thing is I don't like their films either, for many of the same reasons. But also because I really think protesters are a diseased group of individuals who take the phrase 'not having anything better to do' very seriously.
I'm a family man myself. I am looking to expand my borders, increase my wealth, eliminate my debts, and see to it that my family is happy without fear of the future. I don't have time to protest. I'm busy seeing to all of these things. And, it may shock some of you, I wouldn't trade it to go protest with a bunch of wackos.
Similarly, I'm not going to go see another anti-war, anti-tobacco, or government conspiracy movie that points a finger at the most convenient target for people who don't want to think
(i.e. the President). I think most people agree with me.
I think this also explains why the movie 'Lions for Lambs' failed so miserably. I didn't see it but it was a fairly blatant anti-war film just from their add and review. 6.8 million dollars in its opening weekend. They said it wouldn't do less than $8 Million. So $6,800,000 divided by the median theater ticket price of lets say $12. That means about a half a million people showed up. Nowhere even close to blockbuster.
Let me explain why this happened. There are a few rich protesters. People who inherited their parent's hard-earned money. And there are poor protesters. Moochers and moochees so to speak. The rich fill up a few van fulls of the poor protesters and feel like they've done their moral and civic duty. Of course, this leaves many poor protesters high and dry, but they still want to join their buddies for a joint and to support some movie that tauts fiction as fact. So what do they do? They panhandle, as protesters, they obviously have no time for working a steady job. They wait for some hard working person with change in their pockets to walk by and grace them with a coin or two. As it must have happened, the prosperous people with change in their pockets stopped giving away their change this past weekend. And our POOR protesters were left to rot in their parent's basement, jointless. And Robert Redford, Tom Cruise, and Meryl Streep scratch their heads and wonder why so few showed up and why everything smells like weed.

No comments: